Selecting Big Buddies
When men apply to be a Big Buddy, we begin a process called ‘screening.’ This means we find out as much as we possibly can to verify the man applying is the kind of good guy we want to join our community.
Time and again, Big Buddies tell us they're pleased to be part of a community of men who have been so thoroughly considered.
While Big Buddy embraces the philosophy that most people have an inherently good nature, we’re not prepared to take even the smallest risks with the safety and well-being of children.
Developed over a number of years, this system provides assurance for our entire community: mothers, sons, mentors, sponsors, funders, donors, and the team here at Big Buddy.
Big Buddy 360° screening process
Here’s how it works:
- We make sure you can commit to spending 2-3 hours a week with a Little Buddy.
- We carefully go through the aims of the programme with you to make sure you understand what we need to achieve.
- If everyone is happy to proceed, you’ll fill out an application form, providing us with personal and professional character references, as well as clearance from your doctor.
- We’ll do the standard police check which is mandatory for anyone involved with children in a paid or volunteer capacity.
- The next step is a personal interview and a psychological assessment. These words can strike fear into the hearts of the bravest men, but don’t be put off! Think of it as a personal Warrant of Fitness check-up.
- Once the results are considered and you’re given the go-ahead, an induction training session takes place.
- Next, a ‘match’ is negotiated between yourself and the mother or caregiver of a Little Buddy. It’s at this stage that you’ll make your own decisions about whether that match is the ‘right one.’
- If you approve of the match, you’ll be officially paired with that Little Buddy and you’ll start meeting weekly.
- You’ll be supported with monthly phone calls and any other support you need; if a challenge arises that you’d like support with, we’re only a phone call away.
- We will also connect you to other Big Buddies in your area through regular mentor meetings and Big Buddy outings.
What's the next step?
Contact us to take the next step in becoming a mentor and changing lives.