Please Read Carefully
Last changed 11 Jul 2022
It covers information collected or used through this website. It does not cover other data activities or uses.
Big Buddy is committed to protecting everyone’s privacy. We want to be very clear about the data we collect, how it is used and your rights to control that information. This statement, and the policy it is derived from, do not limit or exclude any of your rights under the Act, which you can discover more about at www.privacy.org.nz.
Your personal information is information that would identify you as an individual, and/or information about yourself that you would reasonably keep confidential. Use of this website does not require you to provide personal information. However, if you contact us through this website, we will as a minimum ask you for your name and contact details which are considered personal information under the Act.
Our Data Storage Systems
Big Buddy uses various IT systems to collect, use, protect and store data including personal information. These are all “cloud computing” software applications from third party suppliers whose physical servers may be overseas.
When do we collect your information through this website?
When you visit this website, we collect and use technical information such as your IP address or domain name to show us how often and the different ways the website is used. This information is anonymous and is used to inform how we improve this website and our communication through it. The technical information is not linked to any personal information we collect about you such as your name.
We collect this technical information using the software Google Analytics. To do this Google Analytics transfers a small piece of code called a “cookie” to your computer’s hard drive so that it can recognise your browser and monitor your use of the website. You can choose whether to accept cookies, or not, by changing the settings within your browser. If you disable all cookies in your browser settings on your browser, this may mean that you cannot use all of the features of this website.
We collect personal information only when you interact with us through this website by;
- completing and submitting any enquiry form on this website
- making a donation through this website
- signing up to receive our newsletter through this website
- responding to information about occasional fundraising events through this website.
When you interact with us in any of these ways, we will ask you for a minimum of your name and contact details. This personal information will be stored and used in our operational software applications. Currently we use SalesForce, VegaWorks and Xero to store, protect and use your personal information.
When you make a donation through our website, your also provide some personal financial information. We do not see, collect or use this financial information ourselves. Banking regulations require us to collect your financial information using a special software programme, securely linked to our website, called a payment gateway. This is why a new screen opens up to process the financial information such as your credit card details. Our current payment gateway is supplied and maintained by Stripe.
How we use your personal information
We will initially use your personal information that we collect through this website for one or more of these purposes:
- to verify your identity
- to communicate with you
- in response to enquiries and requests you made through this website
- to engage you in our mentoring programmes
- to supply you with information about our work through our newsletter
- to engage you in our fundraising and marketing activities
- to thank you for any donation you have made
- to collect money that you are donating to us, including authorising and processing credit card transactions.
- to set up a regular donation if you have offered us one.
- to improve our programmes, processes and policies
- to protect and/or enforce our legal rights and interests, including defending any claim
- for any other purpose authorised by you or by the Act.
Please be aware that as you continue to interact with us, we will probably request more personal information and use your personal information for additional reasons. If this happens you will always be told about it as part of the additional information request that will
- let you know what additional information we need and why we need it
- explain how we will use and store the additional information
- highlight any new purposes for which we will use your personal information.
Disclosing your personal information
We will not sell, rent, or share your personal information to any third party for any purpose without your consent.
Third party software applications contain your personal data meaning that it is effectively “shared” with the technical support teams of our IT suppliers. These suppliers do not usually need to access your data, however they will transport, protect and store it on their servers as the content for the system they provide and maintain on our behalf.
Please be aware that any information shared with us over social media may be used by the social media supplier in accordance with the terms and conditions of using their service. Big Buddy has no control or oversight over the social media companies and their services.
Protecting your personal information
We will take reasonable steps to keep your personal information safe from loss, unauthorised activity, or other misuse.
We have overlapping responsibilities for the security of your personal data that is shared between us over the internet. While we take reasonable steps to maintain secure internet connection within our systems, there are many components outside of our control including public networks and your own internet devices. Excluding any negligence in maintaining our parts of the internet connection, you share personal information with us over the internet at your own risk.
In the unlikely event of a security breach that results in your personal information being lost or compromised we will
- Seal the breach as soon as practically possible;
- Use the tools provided by the Office of the NZ Privacy Commissioner to assess the severity breach;
- Inform the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of notifiable breaches and follow their advice to respond to it;
- Inform you and where relevant offer advice to better protect yourself from the breach; for example, changing passwords
Accessing, correcting or deleting your personal information
You have the right to request access to, correction of and deletion of your personal information that we hold. We will do our best to service these requests as far as we can legally and reasonably do so.
If you want to exercise any of these rights, please contact our Privacy Officer, Paul Burns at [email protected] We will need;
- evidence to confirm that you are the individual to whom the personal information relates to; or their legal guardian in the case of information about a minor.
- details of your request
We will explain in our response to your request
- If we agree to the request, or why we don’t
- If there are any grounds under the Act or other legislation to refuse your request
- If it is practically possibly to action agreed requests.
- What we will do if it is not practically possible to action an agreed request.
A record of your request and its outcome will become part of your personal information.
We may charge you our reasonable costs of providing to you copies of your personal information or correcting that information.
Changes to this policy